Saturday, October 17, 2015

Black Feminism



White feminism is a thing, and should be discussed amongst everyone (whether or not you think it exists.) I am a black feminist, also known as a womanist. Womanists focus more on racial and gender oppression of black women or women of color. Mainstream feminism overlook the oppressions of black women or other minority groups, not so much purposely, but not knowing how to go about questioning what they can do.

I loved Smith's piece so much. In the second paragraph, she talks on racism and how no one ever wants to speak on it, but ti's always there. "For those of you who are tired of hearing about racism, imagine how much more tired we are of constantly experiencing it..." She uses the words "hard" and "uncomfortable" to describe people's feelings towards the matter when no one should ever feel that way because racism and oppression is a feminist issue. Women are progressing, yes. But let's be honest. Women make 77 cents to a man's dollar? W R O N G. WHITE women make 77 cents to a man's dollar. Black women only make 64 cents to a man's dollar. Bet most people did not know that.

My favorite quote of this article was, "If lifting this oppression is not a priority to you, then it's problematic whether you are a part of the actual feminist movement." Feminism should be uplifting ALL women no matter what, all differences aside and if you cannot embrace who/what someone is, how can you understand the hardships others have to face? 




3 comments:

  1. I thought you would love this piece. I am glad I was right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I cant wait to learn about this article. I agree that black women oppressions are overlooked. As for the quote it is soo true I still don't understand why people are uncomfortable when discussing race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people feel so guilty, ashamed, or irresponsible that it becomes very challenging to listen to racism. I think many people make excuses not to part in the struggle, but I think most people have issues and they are in pretty sad shape.

    ReplyDelete