Sunday, September 27, 2015

Talking Point #3





Misogyny is something that is always thrown under the table that is never talked about but definitely needs to be discussed. Women will almost always be looked at as an object. It's a norm seeing women in provocative attire on the cover of magazines and this alters the way we look at ourselves. I've always had a problem with my body image because all I ever saw was caucasian skinny women basically yelling, "THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD BE." 

One of the women who is interviewed after her breast implants says, "I really like my new boobs, I feel really girly and confident."I did not know larger breasts define how girly you are, or the confidence you have. The breasts we see in these magazines are false advertisement. Everything in magazines are altered to appeal to the the dummies who believe that celebrities look like dolls in real life. 

Not many people would agree with me but, when talking about Nelly Furtado's song, Promiscuous Girl, I don't find anything wrong with it. A female can have casual sex just as a man can without being called "slut," "whore," etc. The woman in the video says the video is "promoting sluttiness" but really she's just saying "we're one in the same." No matter what a female does, it will always be objectifying. She sleeps with multiple men, she's a slut. He sleeps with multiple females, he's got game. Lil Kim said it best, If the guy have three girls then he's the man. He can either give us some head, sex a roar. If the girl do the same, then she's a whore." I always refer back to Queen Kim when discussing the matter of casual sex. 

I don't like how this video used the Pussycat Dolls for the main focus on the sex appeal for women because let's be honest, the only reason why they were famous because just that. Referring back to the beginning of the video, they say something along the lines of, "would their music be sold if there was no sex appeal?"

Lastly, the segment of the rapper Eminem and him not using the "n-word" and using "bitch," "hoe," etc., is definitely incomparable and I'll leave it at that........................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gy1Evb1Kg

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy someone agrees with me about the song. They talked about the double standards but didn't realize they were doing the same thing. It's okay with what she was saying because its the truth its just that society isn't comfortable with the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I disagree, but I would have like to know how you think the last segment was incomparable

    ReplyDelete